MEES ( Minimum Energy Efficient Standards)
Posted on Friday, November 3, 2017
Under the new Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards ( MEES), from the 1st April 2018, a Landlord must have an EPC rating of E or above to let a property, to new tenants, or renew existing tenancy agreements. In addition from 1st April 2020 a landlord will be unable to continue to let a property ( on an existing tenancy agreement), where the EPC is an F or a G.
A landlord of F or G rated property will be expected to install all energy efficient improvements, required to reach an E rating, where funding is available to cover the cost, and further improvements can be made.
ENERGY PERFORMANCE CERTIFICATE's EXPLAINED
• An Energy Performace Certificate, or EPC for short, gives a property an energy efficiency rating from A (most efficient) to G (least efficient) and is valid for 10 years.
• They are needed whenever a property is built, sold or rented.
• It contains information about a property’s energy use and typical energy costs as well as recommendations about how to reduce energy use and save money.
FUNDING FOR MEES
Funding may come from:
- A Green Deal Plan
- Energy Company Obligation or smaller scheme
- Funding from Central Government, Local Authority or third party – at no cost to the Landlord.
- A combination of any of the above.
Where funding is not available to fully cover the cost of making a recommended improvement, then the Landlord will not be required to make that improvement to the property. Other exemptions also apply and can be registered from 1st October 2017 on the national PRS Exemptions Register.
THE EPC RATING FOR YOUR PROPERTY
To view the current EPC for your property please visit: www.epcregister.com and enter the property postcode.
Those Landlords affected by these regulations may wish to commission an up to date EPC and seek the advice of a qualified energy performance assessor to recommend appropriate improvements.
For those that would like to receive an ARLA Propertymark fact sheet on this subject, or require contact details of an energy performance assessor please e-mail your request to email@example.com
To enquire about any of our property services, click here to get in touch with us.